Thursday, March 8, 2012

DIY Wall Art

This is a project that I did a long time ago when my husband and I were first married and lived in an apartment. I needed some inexpensive art for above our sofa. As you know, I love Pottery Barn, and while looking for some inspiration, I saw this wall art in a Pottery Barn catalog:


 My first thought was, "I could do that, and I bet it wouldn't cost that much." So I went to a thrift store and found a bunch of old frames. I purchased three modern frames from Target for the letters. Then, my very crafty husband made a large frame out of some inexpensive moulding from Home Depot. I painted the frames, printed off a few random letters on cardstock and voila! This is what I got...


It's not Pottery Barn perfect, but I think it turned out pretty good, and the best part is it only cost me around $40. It was just the right size piece I needed for over my sofa, and it's unique so it was always a conversation piece. So here is what our apartment living room looked like.



I bought inexpensive pillows and curtains so that when we moved I wouldn't feel bad about not using them if they didn't fit with our next place.



Apartment decorating can be fun and inexpensive. You just need to get a little creative sometimes.

No comments: